STORY ON UNDERSTANDING YOUR CHILDREN

Sanmukh
This is a story about Mr. Ebert Webb.

Four years ago, an accident took my beloved away and very often I wonder, how does my wife, who is now in the heavenly realm, would feel right now? She must be feeling extremely sad for leaving a husband who is incapable to taking care of the house and the kid. This is the exact feeling I have.

There was one particular day, I had an emergency at work. Hence, I had to leave home, thinking that there was still rice leftovers, I hastily cooked an egg and left after informing my sleepy child.

After a long day, I came home, totally drained of all energy. I went straight into the room, skipping dinner. However, when I jumped into my bed with intention of just having a well-deserved sleep, all I heard and felt was broken porcelain and warm liquid! I flipped open my blanket, and there lies the source of the 'problem' . a broken bowl with instant noodles and a mess on the bed sheet and blanket!

I was so furious that I charged straight at my child who was happily playing with his toy, and give him a good spanking! He merely cried but not asking for mercy, except a short explanation:

"Dad, I was hungry and there was no more leftover rice. You were not back yet, hence I wanted to cook some instant noodles. I remembered you reminding me not to touch or use the gas stove without any adults around, hence I turned on the shower and used the hot water from the bathroom to cook the noodles. One is for you and the other is for me. However, I was afraid that the noodles will turn cold, so I hid it under the blanket to keep it warm till you return. But I forgot to remind you because I was playing with my toys, I am sorry Dad”.

After that episode, I went towards my son to give him a tight hug and applied medication on him, while coaxing him to sleep.

However, not so long ago, I hit my boy again, with much regret. This time, his kindergarten teacher called, informing me of my son's absence from school. I took off early from work and went home, expecting him to explain. But he was nowhere to be found, so I went around our house, calling out his name and eventually found him outside a stationery shop, happily playing computer games. I was fuming, brought him home and whacked him hard. He did not retaliate, except to say, 'I am sorry, Dad'. But after much probing, I realized that it was a 'Talent Show' organized by his school and the invite is for every student's mummy. And that was the reason for his absence as he has no mummy.

Time passes by very quickly, and soon another year has passed. When I was about to knock off from the day's work, the post master called. He called to tell me that my son has attempted to post several letters with no addressee.

Although I did make a promise never to hit my son again, I could not help but to hit him, as I feel that this child of mine is really beyond control. Once again, as before, he apologized, 'I'm sorry, Dad' and no additional reason to explain.

His answer, amidst his sobbing, was: ” The letters were for Mummy. I have been writing to mummy for a long time, but each time I reach out for the post box, it was too high for me, hence I was not able to post the letters. But recently, when I went back to the postbox, I could reach it and I sent it all at once”.

After hearing this, I was lost. I told my son, "Son, mummy is in the heavenly kingdom, so in future, if you have anything to tell her, just burn the letter and it will reach mummy. I brought the letters outside, but could not help opening the letter before they turn to ash.

And one of the letters broke my heart...

Dear Mummy,
“I miss you so much! Today, there was a 'Talent Show' in school, and the school invited all mothers for the show. But you are not around, so I did not want to participate as well. I did not tell Dad about it as I was afraid that Dad would start to cry and miss you all over again. Dad went around looking for me, but in order to hide my sadness, I sat in front of the computer and started playing games at one of the shops. Dad was furious, & he scolded and hit me, but I did not tell him the real reason. Mummy, every day I see Dad missing you and whenever he thinks of you, he is so sad and often hides and cries in his room. I think we both miss you very very much. Too much for our own good I think. But Mummy, I am starting to forget your face. Can you please appear in my dreams so that I can see your face and remember you? I have heard, that if you fall asleep with the photograph of the person whom you miss, you see the person in your dreams. But mummy, why have you not appeared? “

After reading the letter, I could not stop sobbing, because I can never replace the irreplaceable gap left behind by my wife.